Friday, March 18, 2011

Sweet N' Soulful Coffee Scrub

Sweet N' Soulful Coffee Scrub

The first gift of the Earth to cross my skin that I would like to share is coconut oil.

The way I came across this was happenstance really.
(Although, I don’t buy into the coincidence train. It all happens for a reason my friends!)
I was retrieving my youngest son from a fellow Goddess who had watched him so I could get a message and we traded some Shea butter for coconut oil. I knew that this stuff was like gold,but wasn’t too clear on the hows and whys so I decided to do some research.

The easiest recipe I found was for a sugar scrub that included one of the most miraculous substances on the face of the planet…COFFEE!
Well, now, coffee+sugar+coconut oil..Yes I think so!!



I immediately concocted the following recipe in my VERY scientific lab otherwise known as the kitchen; in a little less than 10 minutes.
Below the recipe you will find my review, health benefits, suggestions and other musing thoughts I know you are waiting for with baited breath!
Sweet N’ Soulful Coffee scrub
2 TBS White Sugar
2 TBS Ground Coffee
1 TBS Coconut Oil
2 TBS Plain Yogurt

1. Combine all dry ingredients.
P.s. you can use coffee grounds you have already used in the coffee maker! Talk about recycling!!!
2. Add oil and yogurt
I only use the yogurt once in a while, so I don’t add it to my mix. I also found that really smashing the oil into the sugar and grounds helps. Good way to get out that stored anger!

That’s it! Really!
Now onto storing, using and all that other jazz you might what to know:
Storage
If you want, you can keep it in the fridge, especially if you’ve opted for the yogurt.
As I stated before, I don’t mix the yogurt in, so I have been keeping it in an unsealed container in the bathroom.
The only problem with this is the oil tends to melt when it gets warm and will separate from the mix a little. No biggie. I just mix it up in my hand.

I would also recommend taking what portion you are going to use out before your Goddess routine begins and putting the rest back as wet hands might compromise the mixture.

The only con to this scrub is the way it smells and tastes! I can’t seem to keep my fingers out of it when I’m in the shower! Figured that one out when I used some on my lips, YUMMMMMMIE!

Me and my blue vein Irish self have VERY sensitive skin and if something cleans well, it dries me out and if it doesn’t dry me out it breaks me out. And forget trying to exfoliate without looking like I just spent a day in the sun after a chemical peel!
Not with this stuff! I come out of the shower with silky soft, non greasy, deliciously clean skin!

Not to mention that the cost to making this is next to nothing and the smell…DIVINE

And the best part, its 100% safe for Mother Earth!

Ingredients list info:

Ready for science 101?

Brown Sugar:
Contains molasses which is a source of vitamin B, an antioxidant that can prevent/reverse signs of photo aging.

Is chock full of alpha-hydroxy which is essential for glowing skin.

Moisturizes and balances combination skin.
(and it really works!!)
The natural glycolic acid in sugar not only helps condition and moisturize skin, but protects it from toxins.
Sugar has anti-bacterial properties to aid in cleansing the skin.

White Sugar:
Contains most of the same properties as the brown sugar and its course texture adds to the exfoliating properties.

Ground Coffee:
Mother Nature’s great antioxidant!
The caffeine in coffee is a diuretic which goes to work dehydrating fatty cells! The over all effect = a smoother look and feel to the surface of the skin! And what Goddess doesn’t want to be smooth?!

Coconut Oil:
Is super moisturizing and absorbs very easily into the skin without leaving an oily feeling.
Helps to keep connective tissues strong and supple so that the skin doesn't sag and wrinkle, this also helps limit the damage excessive sun exposure can cause.
Helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties.
Prevents destructive free-radical formation and provides protection against them.

Can help to keep the skin from developing liver spots, and other blemishes caused by aging and over exposure to sunlight.

Plain Yogurt:
Has anti fungal and antibacterial qualities, so it is useful for cleansing the skin and unblocking clogged pores.

Contains lactic acid which softens the skin, reduces wrinkles and hydrates dry areas.

Adds elasticity to the cells of the skin as it soaks in.
The natural probiotic properties of yogurt work on the cells of the skin to rejuvenate and peel away years of sun damage and other damage to the skin.

Wrappin it up:

So, there ya have it. A full body scrub gentle enough to be used on your lips that fights the signs of aging and damage due to sun exposure ( a must have for us Florida Goddesses), smells good and tastes GREAT!

Wow, is it just me, or did that sound like a food commercial?? LOL
Not to mention, this product is GREEN! No more consuming plastic packaged chemical laden body products that feed the consumerism bug. This is an all in one product that doesn’t require you buy 10 more for it to work at its best!

Footnote: There is a possible global drawback here. Please make sure your coffee is free trade. Our brothers and sisters deserve to be justly compensated for their efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment